Today I decided on dinner and went grocery shopping. I decided on a basket instead of a cart and I think that that never ends well. My arm nearly detached. I went to a fancy pants tea party in the afternoon which was a good excuse to dress up and drink fancy tea and eat some yummy scones. When I got home it was time to start dinner and as I’ve been having pasta withdrawal (I eat pasta 4 days a week at college) I thought today would be a good day for pasta.Next time I make this I will skip the whole wheat noodles and just use healthy white noodles because the whole wheat makes everything taste bland. The sauce itself was delicious and since were a non- seafood family I substituted the shrimp for a pound of chicken. All in all this turned out to be a very yummy meal.
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.) chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 10 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook penne according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
- Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and add in shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Remove from heat, add in spinach and cover skillet. Let spinach wilt for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and place skillet back over low heat. Add the penne, Greek yogurt and pasta sauce. Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through. Divide into pasta bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese.