Today for dinner my dad really wanted Shepard’s pie but we were out of potatoes. Trying to fill his casserole needs I searched pinterest and decided to try a BBQ chicken cornbread pie from http://www.tablefortwoblog.com. We added a little extra meat and put some corn in the topping but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Just a note here when it says you can shred the chicken in a mixer that doesn’t mean a magic bullet. Our bullet just pulverized the chicken into very teeny shreds which were still delicious but a little small. I cooked it in our 12 inch stone and it turned out really nice. All in all this was delicious and enough to feed 4 people at least.
BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie
Yield: One 9″ pie pan (about 3-4 servings) | Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix, like Jiffy
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
For the topping:
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. hot sauce
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9″ pie pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg, butter, and milk. Then fold in the corn. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan and bake for 15 minutes or until top is just about set and golden brown. Remove from oven when it’s done and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and add the onion and red peppers. Cook until they’re soft and then add in the chicken and garlic and saute until fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes then add in the tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, an brown sugar. Stir to combine and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Cover the cornbread pie with the chicken mixture and sprinkle lots of cheese on top. Turn the broiler on high and put the pie back in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until the cheese has completely melted over top.
5. Slice into wedges and serve. You can garnish with scallions or parsley.
notes: To pre-shred the chicken, boil 2 large chicken breasts until they are cooked through then cut them in 4 pieces. Throw them in the stand mixer with the paddle attachment and turned it on medium speed to shred the chicken.